What’s in Your Boat: Lifejackets, Sunscreen, Insurance?

What’s in Your Boat: Lifejackets, Sunscreen, Insurance?

Owning a boat in Ontario is a dream for many – whether it be a stately sailboat for a trip through the 1000 Islands or a powerboat docked at a cottage.

Synonymous with summer and relaxation, knowing that your craft is covered by insurance is a guaranteed way to leave your worries on shore.

McCAM offers Marine Insurance for your boat, that can be arrange stand-alone or combined with an existing automotive or home insurance policy. Here are some things to consider when discussing boat insurance with your broker:

  • Marine insurance is not required by law but as a consumer you can opt for insurance that covers liability, damage, loss, theft, off-season storage and on-board equipment.
  • It’s not just limited to boats! Personal watercraft vehicles (PWCs) like Jet-Ski™ or Seadoo™ can be insured as well.
  • A Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC) is required to legally operate a motorboat in Canada. Failure to do so may void your policy.
  • There are legal age restrictions for unsupervised operation in Canada for operation of vessels under 10hp, 40hp, PWCs for children under 16 years of age.
  • A boat out of water needs insurance too, as seasonal transportation and storage are key times when boats can sustain damage.

Much like your boat, your insurance should be unique to your needs – get in touch with us to discuss your coverage options. With the number of lakes and kilometers of waterfront in Durham region – we can offer coverage in Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Markham, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Scarborough, Scugog, Stouffville, Oshawa, the GTA, Unionville, Uxbridge, and Whitby.